Monday, October 27, 2008

Calculus of Variations

First I suppose I should mention that the Rhodes "Coming Up Dinner" was this past Friday. It's a fancy (black tie) event to celebrate the new class. Naturally it was quite fun, and I got another chance to practice my bow tying skills.

Now to the fun stuff. After dinner with some Rhodies tonight I went to grab desert with Melis Anahtar and Shayak Sarkar. They humoured me by intently watching as I scrawled out (on a napkin, of course) a very rushed and incomplete description of the Brachistochrone Problem and the Calculus of Variations. I went on to describe basic classical mechanics. By this point I was quite excited. It almost felt like I was back at Tech! Then we left, but not without agreeing to discuss this stuff another time. I definitely have to show them the analogies between classical Poisson Brackets and Quantum Mechanical commutators.

1 comment:

jimbo said...

Poisson means "fish" in French, right?