Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Not Much to Report

I have met with the folks in the Theoretical Chemistry Group, and it looks like everything is planned out nicely. My first lecture will be next Tuesday. After seeing the Quantum syllabus I was kicking myself for not shipping Cohen-Tannoudji over, but alas I have discovered a wonderful consequence of the horribly inefficient redundancy of the college system. Each college has its own library, each of which has several copies of the classics. Univ's library had 5 copies of both Volumes 1 and 2 waiting for me. The Physics and Chemistry selections were actually quite impressive because there were so many available copies of the classic texts. I'm used to a system in which the library would only own ~3 copies of the classics, and would put these on reserve. Looks like mom and dad won't have to ship any books over after all.

Last night the Univ grad freshers (first years) had a barbecue at the college boathouse, which is a very impressive building on the river. The old boat house was unremarkable, but some animal rights protesters burned it down several years ago. Univ has finally rebuilt a new one, and decided to put people in it as protection. Surely animal rights people will respect the rights of the humans living there, right?

Every Wednesday we have tea at Rhodes House along with cake supplied by Sheila and John (Rhodes House employees). Apparently they have a little contest over whose cake is superior. I suppose I need to be careful to not take sides and just eat some of each.

No comments: